In Auburn, Kansas, Myra Innes blends a flavorful sandwich spread that's a fun alternative to standard mustard or mayo. "It adds interest to leftover pork or most any sandwich meat, including turkey and roast beef," she comments.
Recommended: Slow Cooker Sandwich Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped celery
- 1-1/2 teaspoons picante sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 slices whole wheat bread
- 5 slices cooked pork
- Lettuce leaves
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Spread about 1 tablespoon on each slice of bread. Top five slices with pork and lettuce; top with remaining bread. Refrigerate any leftover spread for another use. Yield: 5 sandwiches.
Originally published as Spicy Pork Sandwiches in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p17