Spicy Pinto Bean Chili
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + soaking Cook: 3 hours
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Rinse and sort beans. Soak overnight or use quick-soak method. Discard liquid. Add the water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the beans are almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender and flavors have blended, stirring occasionally. Top with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 122 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 9, 2014
Hubby said so-so; he's had better. I used a tiny bit of ghost pepper sauce since he's not a green chiles fan. Ghost pepper is Very Hot. It was easy. That's a plus for me.
Mar 30, 2013
GREAT! Followed recipe, but no canned chilies so used a spicey giardiniera, amazing flavor.
Oct 15, 2010
loved this recipe and so did my family but i added ground turkey to eat to make it more filling.