Spicy Pinto Bean Chili
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + soaking Cook: 3 hours
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Rinse and sort beans. Soak overnight or use quick-soak method. Discard liquid. Add the water; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until the beans are almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender and flavors have blended, stirring occasionally. Top with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 122 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 485mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 8g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 9, 2014
Hubby said so-so; he's had better. I used a tiny bit of ghost pepper sauce since he's not a green chiles fan. Ghost pepper is Very Hot. It was easy. That's a plus for me.
Mar 30, 2013
GREAT! Followed recipe, but no canned chilies so used a spicey giardiniera, amazing flavor.
Oct 15, 2010
loved this recipe and so did my family but i added ground turkey to eat to make it more filling.