Spicy Orange Quinoa
A creative way to serve the super grain quinoa, this recipe combines the flavors of citrus, crunchy Brazil nuts, vegetables, garlic and saffron. Cayenne and roasted peppers add a spicy accent.—Kathy Patalsky, New York, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 serrano pepper, halved and seeded
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads or 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free spreadable margarine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped Brazil nuts, divided
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium orange, sectioned and chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Broil pepper halves 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters. Cool slightly; finely chop pepper; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth, orange juice, cayenne and saffron to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, heat oil and buttery spread over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms, 1/2 cup nuts and bay leaves; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add mixed vegetables, garlic and reserved serrano pepper; cook 4-5 minutes longer. Stir in orange, lemon juice, zest, pepper and salt.
- Gently stir quinoa into vegetable mixture; discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with remaining Brazil nuts.