Spicy Orange Beef
When I first started out cooking, I did a lot of stir-frying. Although my menu has expanded, I still enjoy cooking and eating stir-fries. Oranges, ginger and pepper flakes give this dish a very distinctive flavor.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 12 green onions with tops, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 3 medium oranges, sectioned
- Hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; set aside. In a large skillet or wok, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat; saute garlic for 30 seconds. Add broccoli, onions, ginger and pepper flakes; stir-fry for 2 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove vegetables and keep warm.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet; add beef. Stir-fry until no longer pink. Stir orange juice mixture; add to skillet. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Return vegetables to pan. Add oranges and heat through. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 285 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 510mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Orange Beef in Country Extra March 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.