Spicy Meatless Chili
When I was working (I'm retired now), this recipe was a mainstay because I could prepare the ingredients the night before, then on the way out the door in the morning. throw everything in the slow cooker. When I got home later, I made the toppings and supper was done.—Jane McMillan, Dania Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
Makes5 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Mexican diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional toppings: Sour cream, chopped avocado, chopped onion and/or shredded cheddar cheese
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 15 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with sour cream, avocado, onion and/or cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without toppings): 224 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1290mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 11g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Chunky Vegetarian Chili in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.