- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup crushed seasoned salad croutons
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, croutons, onion, green pepper, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and pepper. Crumble turkey and sausage over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornstarch, sugar and broth until smooth; stir in the tomatoes, carrots, tomato paste, soup mix, garlic, basil and pepper flakes. Pour over meatballs. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meatballs are cooked through. Serve with pasta.
- Serve immediately or cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen meatballs: Completely thaw in the refrigerator. Place meatballs in a large skillet; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until heated through. Serve with pasta. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSpicy Meatballs with Sauce
"The grease from the meatballs made the sauce thin out and the taste was not great."
"This was an easy and delicious recipe! I did use the new Johnsonville chicken & pork sausage rather than the all pork to cut down on the fat a bit, you just have to remove the casings and break up the meat. Once everything is in the pot, you just let it cook away - that's my favorite kind of recipe! Since it's just me and my husband, I froze half."
"I followed the directions exactly and this was excellent! My entire family enjoyed it. The only thing I might do the next time is brown the meatballs first before placing them into the slow cooker, other than that it's a keeper!"