Spicy Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 9 hours
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 5 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Place potatoes, onion, carrots and celery in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add seasonings; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, tomato sauce and lentils. Cook, covered, on low 9-11 hours or until lentils are tender. Stir in lemon juice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 242 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 925mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 14g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 9, 2017
This was "ok". I didn't use two cartons of Chicken Broth. I used one and it kept it a little thicker which I prefer. I didn't care for the seasoning used or potatoes. It was more like lentil stew. I am accustomed to Grandma's way. She was from Italy and made it the Italian way.