- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 5 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Place potatoes, onion, carrots and celery in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add seasonings; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, tomato sauce and lentils. Cook, covered, on low 9-11 hours or until lentils are tender. Stir in lemon juice. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forSpicy Lentil Soup
"This was "ok". I didn't use two cartons of chicken Broth. I used one and it kept it a little thicker which I prefer. I didn't care for the seasoning used or potatoes. It was more like lentil stew. I am accustomed to Grandma's way. She was from Italy and made it the Italian way."