- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 pounds tomatoes (about 11 medium), coarsely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Sriracha Asian hot chili sauce, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in tomatoes; cook, uncovered, over medium heat 25-30 minutes or until tomatoes are softened.
- Press tomato mixture through a fine-mesh strainer; discard solids. Return mixture to pot; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 1-1/2 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Place cinnamon, celery seed, mustard seed and allspice on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose spices; tie securely with string. Add to tomatoes. Stir in sugar and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until desired consistency is reached, stirring occasionally. Discard spice bag.
- Transfer to a covered container; cool slightly. Refrigerate until cold. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Yield: 1 cup.
Reviews forSpicy Ketchup
"I never thought I could be so excited over ketchup! I have tomatoes over flowing from the garden, so I made this. The only thing I'm disappointed in, is that I didn't make a double batch. It's just that good!"