Spicy Kale and Herb Porchetta
Serve this classic Italian specialty as a main entree or with crusty artisan bread as a sandwich. Use the liquid from the slow cooker with your favorite seasonings to make a sauce or gravy. —Sandi Sheppard, Norman, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 5 hours
- 1-1/2 cups packed fresh kale leaves, torn and stems removed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (about 6 pounds), butterflied
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 large sweet onion, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a blender or food processor, pulse the first 8 ingredients until finely chopped. In a 15x10x1-in. baking pan, open roast flat. Spread herb mixture evenly over meat to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle lemon zest over herb mixture.
- Starting at a long side, roll up jelly-roll style. Using a sharp knife, score fat on outside of roast. Tie at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Secure ends with toothpicks. Refrigerate, covered, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine onion and wine. Place porchetta seam side down on top of onion. Cook, covered, on low until tender, 5-6 hours. Remove toothpicks. Reserve cooking juices.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown porchetta on all sides; remove from heat. Tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, strain and skim fat from cooking juices. Transfer to a large saucepan; bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Cut string on roast and slice. Serve with gravy.
Test Kitchen tips