In Eufaula, Alabama, Amy Chop uses just the right amount of seasonings to spice up this memorable main dish. It's loaded with zesty sausage, tender chicken and tasty shrimp, too.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (5.9 ounces) instant chicken-flavored rice and sauce mix
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook chicken and sausage in butter for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the green pepper, celery and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato and seasonings; heat through. Add the shrimp; cook an stir for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with the prepared rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 380 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 1103mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Jambalaya in Quick Cooking January/February 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.