- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 can (8-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeno peppers*
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, cheese, baking powder and salt. Combine the remaining ingredients; stir into cornmeal mixture just until moistened. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forSpicy Jalapeno Corn Bread
"This recipe needed flour! I added 1/2 cup but should have added more. Also, never seen a recipe that called for buttermilk without baking soda to activate the chemical 'rise' of the batter."
"My family doesn't much care for cornbread, they could take it or leave it. When it comes to this cornbread though there is no leaving it."
"To make this right you need to add 1 cup of flour. I also use chopped up Poblano Peppers instead of jalapeno Peppers and I let it set 5 or 10 minutes so the flavor of the Pablano's permeates the bread. Be sure to use a cast iron pan and let it heat on the top of the stove with vegetable oil in it. It makes a wonderful crust. There is never any left over."