Spicy Jalapeno Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 4 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 6 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 20 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream, chopped tomatoes and fresh cilantro leaves, optional
- 1. Place the tomatillos, onions, jalapenos and garlic in two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Drizzle with oil. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until tender and browned. Cool slightly.
- 2. Transfer vegetables and cooking liquid to a food processor. Add the cilantro, lime juice, cumin and salt. Cover and pulse until chunky; set aside.
- 3. For filling, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cilantro and 1 cup of the tomatillo mixture. Stir in chicken.
- 4. To assemble, spread 1/4 cup tomatillo mixture into two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes. Spread 1 tablespoon tomatillo mixture and 1/2 cup chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Roll up and place seam side down into baking dishes. Spoon remaining tomatillo mixture over enchiladas; sprinkle with cheese.
- 5. Cover and freeze one dish for up to 3 months. Bake the second dish, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with sour cream, tomatoes and cilantro if desired.
- 6. To use frozen enchiladas: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 dishes (10 servings each).
1 each: 412 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 1044mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Jalapeno Chicken Enchiladas
"Little work, but worth it, very tasty"
"If you have the time to put into this then it is worth all the efforts. I will be making this again but without the lime juice. My boys did not like the tanginess from the lime. All in all a very good dish!"
"We all loved these! I had tomatillos and jalapenos in my produce basket, and neede to find a recipe to use them both. We Have made them again!"
"This was amazingly good, but it took way too long to make. I have no idea how prep time is only listed as one hour. Maybe I was distracted with other things, but not enough to make this recipe take hours. I didn't expect to have to devote my entire afternoon and a good portion of the evening to making this."
"I get requests every time I make this."
"The BEST enchilada recipe I've made yet!!! Sooo delicious. So far everyone who's tried it loves it and it's not too spicy if you make sure no seeds from jalapenos get in there."