Spicy Italian Soup
To warm up those cold winter night, this soup does the trick. The flavor of having it simmer all day makes it extra special.—David Wallace-Menard, Shepard, Montana
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small soup bone, optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup snipped celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- Hot peppers, seeded and minced or crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef and soup bone in oil over medium-high heat. Stir in tomatoes, celery, carrots, celery leaves and seasonings. Add water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 3-4 hours or until meat is tender. Remove any meat from the soup bone; discard bone. Dice meat and add to soup. Twenty minutes before serving, add macaroni; cook, covered, until tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 184 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 1109mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Italian Soup in Reminisce July/August 1992
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.