"There's no need for other condiments when you jazz up sausages with zippy peppers," promises Bonnie Jost of Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Leftover links are handy to use in the two recipes that follow.
Recommended: 35 Slow Cooker Tailgate Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 16 Italian sausage links (4 ounces each)
- 1 each medium green, sweet red, yellow and orange peppers, julienned
- 1 banana pepper, julienned optional
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 brat or hot dog buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook sausages over medium heat until no longer pink. Meanwhile, in another large skillet, saute peppers and onion in oil. Drain sausages; place a sausage in each bun. Top each with about 1/3 cup pepper mixture. Refrigerate remaining sausages. Yield: 8 sandwiches plus 8 extra sausages.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Sandwiches in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p20