Spicy Island Shrimp
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 2-1/4 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Reduce heat; add shrimp. Cook for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- 2. Stir in the tomato sauce, green onions, parsley and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve with rice.
1 each: 293 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 293mg cholesterol, 1013mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein.
Dec 30, 2019So good. My husband and I make this with a variety of seafood-shrimp, scallops, and crab. We either serve it over rice or portabella mushrooms for a low carb version. I think the shrimp tend to be over-cooked when simmered for 20 minutes. If they were added the last 5-10 minutes I think the shrimp would be better.
Jul 10, 2019This is a favorite in our house. I’ve made it with shrimp just like the recipe calls for and I’ve made it with 1 lb shrimp and 1lb halibut. Both ways are really good.
Mar 30, 2018
Very good - loved the flavors in the sauce, but almost overpowered the shrimp. But, I will make this again! Would like to try this with chicken.
Dec 19, 2015
very spicy that kids could not eat it as well has my husband.
Sep 21, 2014
Delicious...No need to change anything. I was worried about the cayenne pepper and reduced it to half of what the recipe called for. I won't change anything in the recipe next time i make it. My family like this one a lot.
May 13, 2014
Dec 31, 1969
This recipe was amazing! I also made it with chicken and shrimp by cooking the inplace of the shrimp. Then added the shrimp when the chicken was done. Everyone loved it and I was very happy with the out come! I used 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper and it was not too spicy.
Aug 12, 2012
This has to be one our absolute favorite recipes EVER in our house. I take out a portion for my kids before I add the white and cayenne pepper (too spicy for them yet and 6 & 5) add a litte ketchup to their version and they eat it right up! Of course my husband and I LOVE the full spicy version. SO GOOD!
Jan 15, 2012
Great recipe. I just recently realized that I love shrimp recipes. I don't like green pepper though & used red instead. I cut the recipe in 1/2 & it was at least 4 servings. Definitely a keeper
Mar 15, 2011
This is one of my favorites, Love the spicy shrimp. I have made this several times, i like to change it just a little each time.