Spicy Hearty Chili
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
Makes10 servings (about 4-1/4 quarts)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup light beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the peppers, celery and jalapenos. Cook and stir for 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 261 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 12g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 24, 2010
I have a chili recipe that I have used for years and this one is a close second. My husband puts hot sauce on almost everything so this has the zing he likes. I cut back on the jalapeno pepper...1 instead of 3...and it was plenty hot enough, even for him. He told me he couldn't imagine what 3 would taste like!!! So beware if you use 3 jalapenos!!!!
May 17, 2010
I like this recipe (and I've tried a lot of recipes), but i did change some things; I added 1-2 tsp of sugar and substitute 1.5 cups salsa (whatever spice level you like) for the jalapeno peppers, just because my kids don't like food too hot.
Nov 21, 2009
I have tried better chili recipes. This one was not bad, but not good enough to make again. It could be improved with more spice, maybe a little sweetness.