- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- In a large resealable plastic bag or shallow glass container, combine the first 15 ingredients; mix well. Reserve 1/3 cup for basting and refrigerate. Add chicken to remaining marinade and turn to coat. Seal bag or cover the container; refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill chicken, uncovered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Baste with reserved marinade. Continue grilling for 6-8 minutes or until juices run clear, basting and turning several times. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSpicy Grilled Chicken
"I've made this many times. We love it!"
"This dish is very easy, very tasty and well-received by all. I omitted the thyme and substituted fresh lime juice for the grapefruit juice as our lime tree is very prolific!"
"Maybe you could leave out the salt and use reduced sodium soy sauce to reduce the amount of sodium."
"Sorry, I had a senior moment- 3,600mg from salt and 1,800mg in the soy sauce- 5,400mg"
"My only concern is all the salt- I'm on a reduced salt diet and I see about 4,600mg sodium in the marinade. I realize a lot will be discarded but how much is absorbed by the chicken?"
"Our BBQ wasn't working, so I baked in the oven ~ the only complaint I heard was, "why didn't you cook more?""