Spicy Ginger Beef Stir-Fry Recipe
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each cornstarch and ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sherry or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1-1/2 cups julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 ounces boneless beef top round steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, ginger, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir in the sherry or broth, soy sauce, barbecue sauce and sesame oil; set aside. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry carrots and onion in hot canola oil until crisp-tender; remove and set aside. In the same pan, stir-fry beef and garlic until meat is no longer pink. Stir sauce mixture; stir into pan. Add carrot mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Garnish with green onions. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 3 servings.
1 cup: 254 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 502mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Spicy Ginger Beef Stir-Fry
"Found a package of beef round at the store that was cut in strips and marked "Great for Stirfrys!" Although the cut of meat could have been more tender, the flavor was excellent. I threw in a handful of sugar snap peas, a handful of julienned peppers and a can of sliced water chestnuts. With the extra veggies, I didn't need the rice as a side."