Spicy Garlic Broccoli Rabe
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (2/3 cup each)
- 3-1/2 pounds broccoli rabe
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Trim 1/2 in. from broccoli rabe stems; discard any coarse or damaged leaves. Rinse broccoli rabe in cold water and cut into 2-in. pieces. Add to boiling water. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add pepper flakes; cook and stir 30 seconds longer. Add broccoli rabe and salt; heat through.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 51 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Oct 17, 2017
This was just OK. I made it with one bunch of broccoli rabe for the two of us, and I felt as though I'd dirtied half my prep utensils for very little return. It's a very healthy side dish, though, so I'll keep experimenting. Next time I'll boil the rabe a bit longer, perhaps for 2-1/2 minutes after the water returns to a full boil. I'll also reduce the crushed red pepper to a bare sprinkle and will research ways to reduce the rabe's bitterness. (Adding lemon juice to the water didn't help.)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.