- 3-1/2 pounds broccoli rabe
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Trim 1/2 in. from broccoli rabe stems; discard any coarse or damaged leaves. Rinse broccoli rabe in cold water and cut into 2-in. pieces. Add to boiling water. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook garlic in oil for 1 minute. Add pepper flakes; cook and stir 30 seconds longer. Add broccoli rabe and salt; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (2/3 cup each).
Reviews forSpicy Garlic Broccoli Rabe
"This was just OK. I made it with one bunch of broccoli rabe for the two of us, and I felt as though I'd dirtied half my prep utensils for very little return. It's a very healthy side dish, though, so I'll keep experimenting. Next time I'll boil the rabe a bit longer, perhaps for 2-1/2 minutes after the water returns to a full boil. I'll also reduce the crushed red pepper to a bare sprinkle and will research ways to reduce the rabe's bitterness. (Adding lemon juice to the water didn't help.)"