Spicy Fish Soup
The addition of salsa packs a punch in this simple soup recipe. We enjoy eating it with oven-fresh bread and dessert.—Linda Murry, Allenstown, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2-1/4 quarts)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 pound cod, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Fresh lime wedges, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, water and rice to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the salsa and corn; return to a boil. Add fish.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with lime if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 124 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Fish Soup in Country Woman January/February 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.