Spicy Cran-Apple Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makesabout 5 cups
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, undrained
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pitted dried plums, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Cook over medium heat until berries pop and apples are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; mash if desired.
- Transfer to a large bowl; chill until serving.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 53 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 3mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Nov 12, 2013
Made for Thanksgiving last year, used the leftovers on turkey sandwiches and reheated and put over a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Have already been asked to make again for this upcoming Thanksgiving and I'm excited about having leftovers! I really enjoy the extra flavor and spice this sauce has.
Nov 28, 2012
excellent recipe. My family says to please always use this recipe for cranberry sauce in future. I did not have a can of pineapple so I substituted fresh peeled and chopped clementines and some water to make up for the pineapple juice. The spices were just right. I put some in a pretty glass jar for a hostess gift as we were going out to a family dinner the day I made it. It was great with our chicken dinner. I added some to my greek yogurt for breakfast. It goes with lots of things.