This vegetarian soup has a wonderful Middle Eastern flavor. It's low in calories and fat, which makes it great for those of us trying to watch our weight.—Rita Combs, Valdosta, Georgia
Recommended: 56 Flavor-Packed Healthy Soup Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium sweet yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- In a Dutch oven, saute peppers and onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until flavors are blended.
Stir in couscous; cover and cook 4-6 minutes longer or until couscous is tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Couscous & Tomato Soup in Soups Bookazine 2013, p107