Spicy Corn Bread Squares
Corn bread captures the fabulous flavor of homemade bread without the hassle of rising and kneading the dough. Chili powder and red pepper flakes add zip to this hearty bread.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with pepper flakes.
- Bake at 425° for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 262 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 492mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Corn Bread Squares in 2002 Taste of Home Calendar
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.