Spicy Cinnamon Popcorn
Plain popcorn never made movie night history. Try this cinnamon-spiced version with a little kick in every bite. —Mary Relyea, Canastota, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 250°. Place popcorn and pecans in a large bowl.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugars, corn syrup, pepper sauce and honey; bring to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 290° (soft-crack stage), about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; gradually stir in butter and cinnamon. Pour carefully over popcorn mixture; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely.
- Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 266 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon "Hot" Popcorn in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018