Spicy Churro Ice Cream
From the kitchen of field editor Jennifer Stowell of Deep River, Iowa: This ice cream is sweet and creamy with a punch of spice! It would also be great with hot fudge swirled into it or served on top.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3T Gustus Vitae spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, whisk together 1 cup cream, milk, spicy chocolate cinnamon sugar, sugar and salt. Heat to a simmer over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, pour the remaining heavy cream into a bowl and set that bowl in a bowl of ice. Whisk the 6 egg yolks. Add a bit of the warm milk mixture to the eggs to temper them. Pour the eggs into the warm milk mixture. Raise the heat to medium high and stir continuously until thickened.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the custard into the bowl of remaining heavy cream. Stir to combine. Put this mixture in the fridge until cooled completely. Make the ice cream following your ice cream maker's instructions. Once the ice cream starts to harden, stir in the chocolate chips.
Originally published as Spicy Churro Ice Cream in Gustus Vitae - Fall 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.