- 6 pounds tomatoes
- 3 large green peppers, chopped
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a Dutch oven, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes, a few at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove each tomato and immediately plunge into ice water. Drain and pat dry. Peel and finely chop tomatoes to measure 9 cups; place in a stockpot.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Add water to cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 8 pints.
Reviews forSpicy Chunky Salsa
"Wayyyy Wayyy too much vinegar. I would cut the vinegar in half. I ended up having to double the rest of the ingredients. I also cooked it for2 hours."
"I'm hard pressed to give this recipe even one star. Don't waste your time or ingredients on it. Too much vinegar and not much else for flavor. I'm either going to have to come up with a way to use it, doctor it up or throw it out! I had an absolutely wonderful recipe the last couple years but cannot find it. Changed computers and can't find where it is saved. This looked similar but apparently not! Anyway, I don't know how these people giving it 5 stars are able to eat it!"
"I have made 2 batches of this salsa in the last week. Really like it. I do cook it down longer than recipe states, probably 2-3 hours. I only used 1-6 oz. can of tomato paste. I did not add the serrano peppers, as I did not grow any in my garden. Will make this again next tomato season."
"Best chunky salsa ever my family loves it I find myself doing this pretty often this is def a must try recipe ."
"This is a tasty recipe, but I used 12 lbs of tomatoes thinking I could make a double batch, but those 12 lbs only made 10 cups. I did drain all the juice and seeded most of them. I used some roma and other medium size tomatoes. I like roma as they seem meatier. I, too reduced the sugar and vinegar and doubled the hot peppers and it still wasn't hot, used some with seeds and some without. Great texture and flavor. Will be making it again soon."
"First batch was excellent and the entire family loved it but tweeking just a bit for the 2nd batch. This time I will use a few more tomatoes and hot peppers. Probably double the tomato paste because we like it a bit thicker and spicier. Excellent recipe because it can be easily adjusted to your own personal taste!"
"This salsa is amazing!! I have been using the sames recipe for a long time but decided to try this one. I did use 1/4 cup sugar and it was plenty. I also added some of the seed from the Serrano peppers because we like it a little bit spicy."
"I just finished making my second batch of this salsa and love it. I made a few mild tweaks to it. I used only 1/4C of sugar and I would still consider it pretty sweet and it is really not spicy at all...I think I'll leave in some of the pepper seeds next time. I added a little extra tomato paste as it wasn't quite thick enough for me and used a little lime juice instead of lemon juice. I also added a can of corn and that just put it over the top."
"Changed to 1/4 cup sugar...Apple cidar instead of white vinegar and we grilled the tomatoes and peppers to get the skins off....my husband says it's the best salsa ever.. Oh we added an extra jalapeño with seeds in! ??"
"I wouldn't even give this 1 star. This is the most disgusting excuse for salsa I have ever tasted! You would think with all of the pepper you could get past the vinegar..... you can't. Wasted an entire day and entirely too much money on this garbage."