Spicy Chocolate Orange Snack Mix
This munchable treat gets an extra zing from orange zest and a pop from cayenne pepper. Set out a bowl to snack on through the day or during a holiday movie night! —Erica Wilson, Beverly, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5 min. + cooling
- 5 cups Rice Chex
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Place cereal in a large bowl. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, orange juice, cayenne and orange zest. Microwave, covered, on high for 45 seconds; stir. Cook 15-30 seconds longer or until butter is melted; stir until smooth. Pour over cereal.
- Microwave in batches on high for 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Spread onto waxed paper to cool. Stir in chips. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 181 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Orange Spice in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.