Spicy Chili Seasoning Mix Recipe
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound boneless beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) chili beans, undrained, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.Yield: 4 batches (20 teaspoons total).
- 2. To prepare chili: Lightly brown steak in oil in a Dutch oven; add 3 teaspoons of the seasoning mix and toss to coat. Add ground beef; cook until meat is no longer pink. Add onion; cook until tender. Add tomatoes and 2 more teaspoons of mix. Stir in one can of chili beans. Place the other can in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Add to chili. Cook on low for 30-40 minutes or until meat is tender. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts) per batch.
1/2 teaspoon: 195 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Spicy Chili Seasoning Mix
"I like this seasoning mix, and hope to be making it more often in the future."
"My family has been making this chili for over 12 years. I lost the recipe for the seasoning mix a LONG time ago and have been winging it. I'm SOOO grateful it is posted here. I love the internet! I've recently begun making this with 3 cans of beans and blending 1 1/2. It makes the chili a little thicker . The best tweak though is using tri tip instead of round steak. I usually cook the chili longer than an hour (remember, I was doing this from memory) and the tri tip is to die for! It becomes soo tender that it steals the show!"
"MICHIGANGIRL-may I make 3 suggestions? First-Please release your CapsLock-in the world of internet it is considered yelling. Second-Please give your ideas on changes (esp. nice AFTER trying the recipe) w/o dictating what is healthy for the rest of us. Third-why not be bold and try a new ingredient that you have 'never put in before'. (Why look for new recipes if you don't want to try something new?)"
"MICHIGANGIRL-may I suggest that, firstly, you take off your CapsLock--in the world of internet it indicates yelling--secondly, please share your suggestions on changes you made (even better after you've actually made the recipe) without making dictating what's healthy, and, thirdly, why not be bold and try an ingredient you've 'never put in before' (?)."
"Michigangirl-may I encourage you to, firstly, NOT use all capitals--in the world of internet that is equated as yelling--secondly, please share your suggestions for personalizing a recipe w/o offering judgments on what is healthy, and, thirdly, (re-oregano), why not be bold and try something you've 'never put in before'?"
"I've been using this recipe for years and I just wanted to say I love it!"
"This chili seasoning mix is so great! I wanted to make the Heartwarming chili (here on TOH) but didn't have the chili seasoning packet. I mixed this up quick. I didn't have the coriander so I used cilantro instead, reduced the cayenne to 1/8 tsp and I also added onion powder and a little salt, just because I really like them. :) I will definitely keep this mix on hand."
"One of the easiest recipes I've made. The seasoning is useful for other dishes as well."
"Similar to others I've tried - love the coriander. Mexican oregano, not Italian, is part of every good bowl of 'Texas Red'!"
"Excellent blend of seasonings. The pureeing of part of the beans gives a nice thickness to the broth."
"Yes...Oregano is a must!"
"I THINK THAT I WILL USE OLIVE OIL INSTEAD OF THE VEGETABLE.., IT'S HEALTHIER! I WILL ALSO USE EITHER "BOCA" OR "MORNING STAR" CRUMBLES INSTEAD OF THE beef. ONCE AGAIN, IT'S HEALTHIER!I WILL USE "RO-TEL" TOMATOES FOR MORE SPICE..., DO YOU THINK THAT THE OREGANO IS A NECESSARY INGREDIENT IN chili? I'VE NEVER PUT IT IN BEFORE?"