Spicy Chicken Sausage Lettuce Wraps
I love dishes that you can put together and eat with your hands. I've found that kids really like this fresh-tasting chicken wrap. —Vanessa Campbell, Ford, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 cups shredded yellow summer squash
- 2 medium Asian or Bosc pears, chopped
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups frozen pepper strips, thawed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spicy chicken sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup Asian toasted sesame salad dressing
- 12 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the coleslaw mix, squash and pears. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, ginger, crystallized ginger and salt; drizzle over slaw mixture. Toss to coat; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute peppers and onion until crisp-tender. Add sausage; cook 4-5 minutes longer. Stir in salad dressing; heat through.
- Spoon sausage mixture onto lettuce leaves. Top with slaw mixture; sprinkle with cilantro. Fold lettuce over filling.
Nutrition Facts2 lettuce wraps: 273 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 656mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fat, 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Spicy Asian Chicken Sausage in Lettuce Wraps with Gingered Vegetable Slaw in Everyday Chicken Honda 2014