- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic in drippings until tender; add to chicken.
- Place chipotle peppers and 1/4 cup broth in a blender or food processor; cover and process until blended. Add to chicken mixture. Stir in the hominy, chilies, seasonings and remaining broth. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forSpicy Chicken and Hominy Soup
"Very tasty. A little on the spicy side for some, but but a dab of sour cream in to "cool it down" a bit.Years ago I was a missionary in Mexico and have very fond memories of the beloved posole (and the wonderful family who shared it with us so many times). I was excited to stumble across the recipe after 15 years of waiting. We served it with hot, fresh bread on the side and everyone loved it!By the way, if you're in need of a quick bread recipe (little prep time, not length of waiting) try Artisan bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I made the Oat bread and served it up with the posole. Excellent combination for a warm, comforting meal.*** This is not a recipe for children. Too spicy. ***"
"The author of this recipe clearly states that everyone makes the recipe differently but this is how SHE makes it.Thanks for sharing the recipe Janet. My family liked it."