- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Place the cheese, flour, salt and pepper flakes in a food processor; process until blended. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add just enough cream to form moist crumbs.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. holiday-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps and repeat.
- Bake at 350° for 13-17 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 32 crackers.
Reviews forSpicy Cheese Crackers
"I had prepared these crackers again 10/9/14 and so I've updated my review! This is a 5* recipe in my book! This time, I used 1-3/4 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese blend and I'd added about 4 to 6 Tbsp. of milk, rather than using cream! I used a pastry blender to blend the flour, salt, cheese, cayenne pepper (1/2 tsp. for more of a spicy kick) and butter into crumbs before I added the milk-JUST enough to make a moist dough! I used my cookie discs to flatten the crackers. I had a disc with a leaf design! I did grease my baking sheets and rolled the dough into balls before flattening with the disc! These crackers were for a wedding shower 10/10/14! These crackers I baked 13 minutes at 350o F. and they're a lovely golden brown! I got 2 dozen crackers out of this recipe! I chose not to roll out the dough and cut them! delowenstein"
"great, easy to make and taste is wonderful. liked them so much that I made another recipe 2 hours after the first one."