Spicy Catfish with Tomatoes
I came up with this recipe after trying something similar at a catfish house in the mountains of northern Georgia. My husband and I both appreciate this healthful, flavor-packed dish.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 catfish fillet (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup canned Mexican diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 to 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Hot cooked white or brown rice, optional
- Sprinkle fish with salt, pepper and cayenne. In a nonstick skillet, cook fish over medium for about 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Top with tomatoes and sprinkle with green onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 2 minutes.
- Cover skillet and simmer 2-3 minutes longer or until liquid is reduced and fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1/2 fillet with about 1/2 cup tomato mixture (calculated without rice): 139 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 552mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Oct 16, 2012
This dish is super easy and delicious. We served this white rice and veggie salad. If you like a spicy dish , then this is worth a try. A definite repeat for my family.