Spicy Carrot Coins
Cumin, coriander and ginger lend unusual zip and flavor to this colorful, healthy side dish shared by Nancy Zimmerman in Cape May Court House, New Jersey.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large nonstick saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Add honey and lemon juice to carrots. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are tender and liquid has evaporated.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 112 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Originally published as Spicy Glazed Carrot Coins in Light & Tasty February/March 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.