VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bags boil-in-bag white rice
- Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion and pepper over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, Cajun seasoning, pepper and contents of rice bags; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 8-10 minutes. If desired, serve with hot sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Cajun Sausage & Rice Skillet in Simple & Delicious June/July 2017