Spicy Butter Thins
I spotted this recipe in a newspaper when teaching in California more than 20 years ago. Even today, my son says these are his all-time favorite treat.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup butterscotch chips, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside. In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt butter and 2/3 cup butterscotch chips. Remove from the heat. Stir in the dry ingredients and egg until well blended.
- Spread into an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with peanuts and remaining chips. Bake at 300° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Immediately cut into bars and remove from pan. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 88 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Butter Thins in Best of Country Cookies