Spicy Beef with Peppers
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry or beef broth, divided
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced
- Cooked rice or chow mein noodles
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoons sherry, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, garlic and pepper flakes. Add beef and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine water with remaining cornstarch, sherry and soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a wok or skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high. Add green and red peppers; stir-fry 3 minutes. Remove peppers to a platter.
- Add remaining oil and half of the beef; stir-fry until no longer pink. Remove and stir-fry remaining beef.
- Return peppers and beef to pan. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Apr 27, 2016
This was a great quick dish. I think I'll add onions to it next time, too.
Aug 14, 2013
I make a pepper steak recipe very similar to this and if I don't have red pepper, I substitute tomatoes. A family favorite!
Dec 7, 2011
Me and my husband's absolute favorite!!
Nov 20, 2011
This has become a regular in my household.
Oct 15, 2011
I double the sauce proportions for 1 1/2 lbs of steak, and serve over brown rice instead of white.
Jul 13, 2010
Fabulous!!!! Everybody went back for seconds. Will have to double the recipe next time!
May 21, 2008
This recipe is THE best we have tried from this site. My husband told me I could make it for dinner tonight if I'd like. (Last night was first time we tried it!} Thanks for such a wonderful dinner. Dukeyswife