Spicy Beef Burritos
Green chilies, salsa and jalapeno peppers add lots of zip to these meaty burritos from Deb Poitz of Fort Morgan, Colorado. "Instead of cooking the filling on the stove, it can be simmered in a slow cooker," Deb suggests.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 to 3 cups julienned cooked roast beef
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 cup salsa verde or regular salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 to 3 teaspoons diced jalapeno pepper, optional
- 6 to 8 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- Shredded cheddar or Colby cheese
- Sour cream, chopped tomatoes and additional salsa, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the beef, salsa, chilies and jalapenos if desired. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until mixture reaches desired thickness. Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup off-center on each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold the sides and ends of tortilla over filling and roll up. Serve with sour cream, tomatoes and additional salsa if desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 210 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Spicy Beef Burritos in Quick Cooking March/April 1999