Spicy Beef Brisket Recipe
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1. Sprinkle brisket with seasoned salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onions and garlic until tender. Return brisket to pan.
- 2. Combine broth, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder and bay leaves; pour over meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Remove brisket to a serving platter. Skim fat from cooking juices; discard bay leaves. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Thinly slice meat across the grain; serve with sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
5 ounces cooked beef: 231 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 499mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Spicy Beef Brisket
"I was skeptical of this recipe with the low cooking time for the brisket, but it turned out great. The sauce is a sweet, mildly spicy (not too much for my spice sensitive 7 year old) gravy with tons of flavor and the brisket comes out tender and juicy. I browned the brisket on medium high to get a nice fond in the pan, and did the onions and garlic a bit closer to medium to give it some extra time. A very easy recipe and one we will do again!"
"I always have a hard time making beef flavorful and this recipe does it! I adjusted the spiciness by doing 1/2 chili sauce & 1/2 ketchup and only doing a little chili powder. I also added baby carrots & celery with the onions & used corn startch/water instead of flour. It was so yummy & the best homemade beef I've had!"
"This is absolutely wonderful for a family gathering, especially if you like a little "kick" in the flavor!"
"carysangel, there is no temperature mentioned because it is cooked on top of the stove, not put into the oven.Karen Y."
"Does not have a temperature for cooking the brisket."