Spicy Beef Brisket
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Sprinkle brisket with seasoned salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute onions and garlic until tender. Return brisket to pan.
- Combine broth, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, chili powder and bay leaves; pour over meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket to a serving platter. Skim fat from cooking juices; discard bay leaves. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Thinly slice meat across the grain; serve with sauce.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef: 231 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 48mg cholesterol, 499mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Oct 9, 2016
I was skeptical of this recipe with the low cooking time for the brisket, but it turned out great. The sauce is a sweet, mildly spicy (not too much for my spice sensitive 7 year old) gravy with tons of flavor and the brisket comes out tender and juicy. I browned the brisket on medium high to get a nice fond in the pan, and did the onions and garlic a bit closer to medium to give it some extra time. A very easy recipe and one we will do again!
Mar 28, 2011
I always have a hard time making beef flavorful and this recipe does it! I adjusted the spiciness by doing 1/2 chili sauce & 1/2 ketchup and only doing a little chili powder. I also added baby carrots & celery with the onions & used corn startch/water instead of flour. It was so yummy & the best homemade beef I've had!
May 7, 2010
This is absolutely wonderful for a family gathering, especially if you like a little "kick" in the flavor!
Jul 26, 2009
carysangel, there is no temperature mentioned because it is cooked on top of the stove, not put into the oven.Karen Y.
Jul 26, 2009
Does not have a temperature for cooking the brisket.