- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) condensed bean with bacon soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (16 ounces) thick and chunky picante sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (10 inches)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until beef is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the soup, 1 cup of picante sauce, cornstarch, parsley, paprika, salt and pepper. Fold in the beans, 1-1/2 cups of cheese, 1/2 cup onions and the beef mixture.
- Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom pastry; fill with bean mixture. Top with remaining pastry; seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust.
Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with the sour cream, olives and remaining picante sauce, cheese and onions.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pie. To use, remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover edges of crust loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; remove foil. Bake 55-60 minutes longer or until golden brown. Garnish as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSpicy Bean and Beef Pie
"I definitely did NOT share the enthusiasm for this recipe! Will never be making it again!"
"I make many recipes from ToH that are keepers, but this one is beyond belief...SO GOOD! People, please don't change the ingredients, amounts, or how it is made! The bean with bacon soup is what takes this recipe over the top. It gives a depth of flavor that no one would ever suspect comes from this soup. Also...make sure you use picante sauce and not salsa. They are similar, but picante is cooked and generally spicier. Mild picante is perfect in this, but it also comes in extra-mild, medium, and hot. I bought the Pace brand. I bought Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts and used them in a 10-inch Fiesta pie baker. There was filling left but not enough for another pie. I saved it until the next day, topped it with cheese, heated it in the microwave, and we had it with tortilla chips! Another winner! The filling could easily stand alone as a dip...it is that good. Do yourself a favor and make this!"
"Very Good! Lightened it up by omitting sour cream, bottom crust, reduced amount of reduced fat cheese, eliminated salt, and used healthy request bean soup. Added guacamole as topping. Will try ground turkey or chicken next time. Still oh so good and easy to make. Putting this one on the guest list."
"This is a family favorite especially around the holidays because the recipe makes two pies. I usually leave off the top crust, and sometimes, I have just made a dip out of it omitting the crust and cornstarch and serving it with "Scoops". All good!!!"
"I made this a little differently than the original, but it still turned out well. I used 1 cup of beef broth instead of the soup because the thought of bean and bacon soup in this just didn't sound appetizing to me at all. I also used 1/2 a pound of ground turkey since I didn't have any ground beef and it was plenty of meat. I was concerned that the filling wouldn't thicken up enough in the oven, so I added all of the filling ingredients except for the cheese and thickened it on the stovetop. My husband and three year old loved it and I will definitely make it again!"
"This is the best pie I have ever tasted. I have a 14 year old who is fussy when it comes to meals and she requests this often."
"I make this with vegetarian hamburger substitute. It turns out great. Way less fat."
"This past year I made my kids favorite meal for their birthday. This one is my youngest sons. We all love it. Thanks."
"I have been making this recipe since I first saw it in your magazine. It is AMAZING!! You will be missing out if you don't make it."