Spicy Bavarian Beer Mustard
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Process: 15 min.
- 2 cups dark beer
- 2 cups brown mustard seed
- 2 cups ground mustard
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups malt vinegar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine beer and mustard seeds. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place seed mixture in a blender. Cover and process until chopped and slightly grainy.
- Transfer to a Dutch oven. Add the ground mustard, brown sugar, vinegars, salt, allspice and cloves. Bring just to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Ladle hot liquid into 7 hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 tablespoon: 36 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 10, 2019
I want to give 5 stars but for me there was just a little too much vanilla. It was also too thick following the recipe exactly. I had to add another whole beer, and another 1/2 cup of malt vinegar. I did blend mine quite a bit. This really released the spiciness which I liked. When it went into the pot, it seemed a little on the sweet side but I was excited for the finished product. The vanilla tempered the sweetness but for me was a bit much. I would add it in 1/2 teaspoon increments. I suspect 1tsp. would have been enough.
Mar 14, 2016
What are the ingredient measurements if you only want to make one batch for a party?