Spicy Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
I work full-time outside of the home, so I look for economical meals like this that can be served for a couple of days. I like to serve these sandwiches with baked beans and coleslaw.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes12 -14 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast (3 pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 to 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 12 to 14 hard rolls, split and toasted
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in oil until lightly browned. Add roast and brown on all sides. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; cool. Simmer sauce, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Shred meat; return to sauce and heat through. Serve about 1/2 cup on each roll.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 326 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 891mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Spicy Barbecued Beef Sandwiches in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips