Spiced Walnut Scones
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a small bowl, combine milk and lemon juice; let stand for 2 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, cloves and mace; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add walnuts and milk mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 7-in. circle; cut each into six wedges. Separate wedges and place 1-in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm scones.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 312 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 6, 2017
These are wonderful! Very easy to make and turned out perfectly golden brown with a great texture, soft, slightly chewy, and with a nice subtle walnut taste. The only things I did differently was omit the orange peel as I did not have, which is used in both the recipe and frosting. I also did not have the orange juice for the frosting, so used just powdered sugar, milk and almond extract for the frosting. I will definitely make these again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.