Spiced-Up Tomato Soup
Flavors of tart tomatoes and cloves shine in this good-for-you soup. Having to cut down on sodium, I often experiment with spices to replace the salt.—Carol Foiles, Clark, South Dakota
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- In a blender or food processor, cover and process tomatoes until pureed.
- In a saucepan, dissolve bouillon in water. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 74 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 354mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable.
Originally published as Spiced Tomato Soup in Country Woman March/April 2004