Spiced-Up Chicken Salad
A unique combination of basil and mint in the dressing adds fresh appeal to this outstanding salad. The recipe comes with my tried-and-true approval.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 2 large sweet red peppers, julienned
- 1 small cucumber, halved and sliced
- In a small saucepan, combine the lime juice, brown sugar, basil, mint, soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon garlic and ginger. Slowly whisk in oil; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute chicken until no longer pink. Add the jalapeno, salt, white pepper, paprika and remaining garlic; saute 1 minute longer.
- Place salad greens on a large platter; top with red peppers, cucumber and chicken. Bring lime juice mixture to a boil; drizzle over salad. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 248 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 316mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Spiced Up Chicken Salad in Country Woman July/August 2006