A unique combination of basil and mint in the dressing adds fresh appeal to this outstanding salad. The recipe comes with my tried-and-true approval.
Recommended: 30 Satisfying Protein-Packed Salad Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 2 large sweet red peppers, julienned
- 1 small cucumber, halved and sliced
- In a small saucepan, combine the lime juice, brown sugar, basil, mint, soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon garlic and ginger. Slowly whisk in oil; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute chicken until no longer pink. Add the jalapeno, salt, white pepper, paprika and remaining garlic; saute 1 minute longer.
- Place salad greens on a large platter; top with red peppers, cucumber and chicken. Bring lime juice mixture to a boil; drizzle over salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spiced-Up Chicken Salad in Country Woman July/August 2006, p48