Spiced Tomato Drink
"I was looking for a different beverage to serve when I remembered a tomato drink If sampled in New Guinea," writes Dorothy Anne Schultz, from Dallas, Oregon. "I experimented until I came up with this spicy concoction. It's delicious hot or cold anytime of the day. If you're watching your salt, use reduced sodium tomato juice and skip the salt."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice. Serve warm or cold.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 62 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 653mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Spiced Tomato Drink in Light & Tasty December/January 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.