Spiced Tomato Beverage
This zesty beverage recipe from my Uncle Merle will awaken all your senses! Skip the vodka for a nonalcoholic drink.—Ron Roth, Three Rivers, Michigan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 8 cups tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 to 6 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- Ice cubes
- 16 ounces vodka, optional
- 8 celery ribs, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 12 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove and discard cinnamon stick. Serve warm or cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- If desired, place ice in a glass. Fill a shaker three-fourths full with ice. Add 2 ounces vodka and 1 cup tomato mixture to shaker; cover and shake for 10-15 seconds or until condensation forms on outside of shaker. Strain into prepared glass. Garnish with a celery rib. Repeat with remaining vodka, tomato mixture and celery.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 52 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1279mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Tomato Beverage in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009